Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Estrogen Levels: Down...Down...Down...

My mom has said for years that I like to do things differently than everyone else: I was the only sibling to play on a sports team in high school, I'm the only sibling (as far as I know) that dyes her hair, and so far I have been the only child in our family to move across the country alone to begin a career.

That said, it should not surprise anyone that I like to do IVF differently than everyone else...

Up until yesterday everything was looking perfect. My Estradiol levels were up to 1726 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL). I had 6-8 mature follicles and another 35 or more that were maturing. They wanted me to have one more night of stimulating and antagonist injections to try to have 10-12 mature eggs before retrieval. We were getting so excited for the next phase in IVF.

Well, we went to our appointment and everything looked great. They did another ultrasound and we have about 9 mature follicles, 39 follicles total. We were elated! They ran some blood work and we were supposed to start our trigger shot last night.

Our doctor called later that afternoon and said he had some terrible news for us. My Estradiol levels dropped drastically down from 1726 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL) to 1290 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL). He said that his professional opinion was that we should discontinue this IVF cycle and try again at a later date. My jaw hit the ground!
Did I just hear him right? We had gone through all the shots and blood draws and for nothing? What?
As we talked further to our doctor, he explained that he was just as shocked as we were. He said that every year the clinic performs about 300-400 IVF cycles. He only has known of 2 or 3 times each year when the Estradiol levels drop so drastically instead of increasing. There's less than 1% chance of having this happen. Our doctor further explained that the prognosis for pregnancy was extremely low when Estradiol drops like ours did. We will be meeting with him later this week to discuss what our options are for the future.

So, yes, I do like to do things differently. We will see where this independent spirit of mine takes us on our journey toward parenthood.

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow. I don't even know what to say. Hopefully you'll come up with some brilliant options with your doctor when you meet with him. The roller-coaster emotions can't have been completely in vain . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I'm so sorry..... what do they think happened? Does this mean you are ovulating on your own? I'm confused. I'll be praying for you. Please blog an update if your up to it after you see your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how beyond words frustrating! My body tends to do stuff like that too. Something is supposed to effect everyone one way and my body does the opposite or overdoes it beyond! Yeah....

    I'm so sorry!
    Love,
    Wrylon

    ReplyDelete