Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

The Results Are in and...

When your going through IVF, everything seems like a wait. Not to fear though, many great things have happened of which are important to share. First, we had our embryo transfer on the 15th and had two embryos transferred into my body. Here is how the this procedure went. Before the transfer, I had to drink a lot of water in order to have a full bladder during the procedure. Once in the operation room, my full bladder acted as a window for the doctor to see into my uterus using the ultrasound. The procedure was highly uncomfortable to say the least. However, it was nice during the procedure to see our embryos on a big screen TV to identify them and our names. Austin and I witnessed our embryos sucked up from the petri dish and then into a catheter before they were brought into the operating room to be implanted into my uterus. The procedure went fine, but then we had to wait until last night to hear the results of the implantation. If you are interested, take a quick detour and watch this video of how the implantation procedure is done:


After this, we had to wait ... and wait ... and wait for what seemed like eternity: two weeks. I had to remind myself each day that I was one day closer to finding out if the embryo transfer was successful. The final days leading up to the pregnancy blood test were so intense. I experienced a lot of lower back pain, off and on, and I couldn't tell if it was pregnancy symptoms or menstrual pains. I was a mess. I couldn't do much else besides try and sleep off the pain. Austin jumped in and helped support me around the house so we could keep up on the housework. Austin helps around the house anyway, but with my pain and aches, Austin took on even more housework after he finished working two jobs during the day.
Finally, the two week wait was over. We went into the clinic and had the nurses draw my blood. Then, Austin and I waited in Salt Lake at the South Towne Mall to hear what the results would be. Kinda funny, but we were actually outside the Motherhood Maternity store at the South Towne Mall when the infertility clinic called with the test results. Both of our hearts were beating fast and the anxiety was coming to a climax ... then we heard the consoling words that are hard to describe: Well, we got your blood results back and we have exciting news ... You are four weeks pregnant!!! This overwhelming gush of happiness, tears, etc. came over Austin and me. Whew! What a relief. After five years of trying to get pregnant: the time was finally here!

Cautious thoughts: We are not very far along, and so we are still cautiously optimistic that the pregnancy will continue and we will not miscarry. We are elated, however, to make it to this point! I continue to take my prenatal vitamin and my progesterone suppository every day to help ward off miscarriage. Austin and I will go back to the clinic on February 6th to see how many yolk sacs we have and to make sure the pregnancy is not ectopic.

P.S. In regards to our other twelve embryos that we had growing in the lab, none of them survived to be frozen. We were in shock because they were given such good report cards on day 3 of their growth. Apparently, by day 6 when they do the actual freezing, all the rest of the embryos were beginning to grow strangely and couldn't be saved. It was a great disappointment, but we are excited that we are pregnant from the embryos that were transferred into me. Stay tuned...

11 comments:

  1. A&A, we are so happy for you! I know that the near future is a wild unknown, but I am happy you had two embryos that were usable, and worked! You have been so patient and diligent, and seeing your hard work pay off is very . . . happy! I'm giddy for you :) I'm glad you're going into this knowing everything might not be peaches and cream. . . we'll keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda and Austin,
    Just wanted to congratulate you and let you know that you will continue to be in our prayers!! I am so happy for you!!

    Mindy Henrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is Mo (I'm signed in under Jonathan's gmail account . . .). I'm so so so glad! I've had prayers both uttered and in my heart for you since our chat on Monday. I'm glad that the excitement I felt during our phone conversation was justified! :) (PS: Jonathan is a fan of Patrick Henry, so that might be the name that shows . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So SO glad things are going well for you so far! I'm sorry to hear your other embryos weren't able to be frozen, but I'm so glad for the other good news. You are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so happy for you! You both continue to be in our prayers as we pray for a healthy pregnancy and a beautiful baby for you. You guys deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats! Hope everything continues to go well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoo Hoo! That's GREAT NEWS!!! I need another update soon;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost started crying when I read the news. Putting that video in the middle was a tricky way to build the tension--I had to skip right past it because I wanted to know the results :) So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Amanda! I actually heard the good news first from my mom so I came on hear to see what you had to say. Ha ha! We hope things continue to go well for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love you both and are so happy for you. We will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! Congratulations to both Amanda and Austin.

    ReplyDelete