Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Future Looks Brighter than Our Past

Austin and I have been sitting on pins and needles the past month. This second IVF attempt has been more stressful for both of us because we knew what could go wrong before egg retrieval. This time, we did a Lupron IVF protocol instead of an antagonist protocol like last time. That means we had even more shots this time around. Austin became an expert at sticking me with needles every night.

Well, yesterday we had our egg retrieval surgery and we were able to retrieve 19 eggs. Today we received a call from the clinic letting us know that out of those 19 eggs, 14 eggs fertilized normally. We are test tube pregnant! The actual embryo implantation, when they transfer the embryos into my body will most likely take place on Sunday. The clinic is now growing our embryos for 5 days in the lab to get us to the blastocyst stage. Embryos that are 5 day embryos have a greater chance of implanting and achieving pregnancy. We couldn't be more excited!

Because we retrieved 19 eggs, however, I am at a higher risk for ovarian hyperstimulation, which can be a pretty serious problem. I am supposed to drink a lot of sports drinks, salty soups, and take a medication called Cabergoline to help reduce the water retension in my stomach area. I'm just relieved to have the eggs out of my body! We will write later with how many embryos made it to the 5 day blastocysts and how the implantation went.

P.S. If interested, here is a very informative video on what happens after the eggs are retrieved during the IVF process. Austin and I had the sperm injected into the egg as shown in the ICSI process of this video.

2 comments:

  1. how exciting!!! I hope it all goes well on Sunday and the weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    I didn't see your update until today........So exciting and praying for you!!!! We're right behind you and all, but not blogging about it this time... we're on day 6 of shots.

    I can't wait to read your upcoming post....

    PRAYING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete