Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Unexpected News

As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

- Jack Handey

My sister let me know last week that she was expecting her sixth child. The news stunk and I was mad! My mother had consoled me during our infertility treatments that my husband and I would give them their 12th grandchild to make an even dozen.

My sister beat me to it...

After dealing with all these emotions for a few days, however, I remembered that life wasn't just about me. Life is full of unexpected surprises. Like Jack Handey related, sometimes you can be so full of your own thoughts, that you disregard the feelings and desires of everyone else. I regret allowing myself to feel downtrodden by the news of a new niece or nephew. As I've forgotten myself and thought about my sister's situation, I have been able to be happy for her pregnancy news.

So, to our readers, there may be others who have heard such news and didn't know how to deal with it. I am right there with them! However, keeping those relationships strong is important. Try to keep in mind that an infertile person wants to be involved, but not too involved in the details of someone else's upcoming pregnancy. :) The reason for this is every time an infertile woman hears more news about a baby, the only message that comes across to her is that you have a child and she does not.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep remembering that your sisters, brother, parents and in-laws love you and we all know it's hard to hear news of pregnancies. We hope and pray that you and Austin will also have that special news soon. We hope you at least have some comfort in knowing how much we all love you.

    ReplyDelete